Earthquake 8.8 Magnitude: Chile, March 2010

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. #1 Pig Pandemic in Mexico 
    Well everyone, Mexican piggies have the sniffles and we're all goin down. Better brush up up on my Stephen King. The Stand, after all, is the bible for apoclytpic disease survival. Just kidding I only made it three chapters in. Makes ya think though, what if this disease actually gets around? As a killer of already 81 hombres, and sickening 1,324 since April 13, this is an issue to be noticed. Also, in America 11 Have been confirmed to have the disease and 8 more in NYC.

Asian Bird Flu now Mexican Pig Flu!?!? What next? French Ferret Flu?

Mexico fights swine flu with 'pandemic potential'

There it is. What are your thoughts? How far do you think this might get?

And since I mentioned it; end of the world, or more accurately for those who do not believe in any form of architectured apocoloypse, the global fall of mans 'glorious' civilization. How will we go? WWIII?? On the whole WWIII subject, my moneys banking on Middle-Eastern countries gaining nuclear weapons and turning a 2000+ year religious war into a 1 day full blown religious apocolypse complete with hell fire and disease and doesn't include the happy ending from Sum of All Fears (not a very good name honestly, the SUM of all our fears is not ONE nuke killing millions, it's alot of nukes killing billions and eventually every living thing).
    Last edited by ĞuncanЯeidy; 04-26-09 at 01:20 AM.

Duncan, once again I'm going to invite you to take a peek at a thread-in the Poll Dance forum you might want to check out the Biggest Threat to Mankind thread. I think you may have an idea or two to add to make that discussion even more interesting, or evolve a perspective for here, or wherever.
    The future is unpredictable

Quote Originally Posted by ĞuncanЯeidy View Post
    There it is. What are your thoughts? How far do you think this might get?
    Well, it's certainly very, very concerning, but we don't need to panic...yet.

Fact is, no one in the public health field really know the scope of this problem right now. This could fizzle out in a couple weeks or it could become a massive pandemic. No one can predict this with any level of accuracy at this moment. We certainly are acting aggressively to prevent this from spreading, I can tell you that.

86 people is not a pandemic. It's an eyebrow-raiser.

Now they're cancelling classes: SCUCISD Classes Canceled All Week - Health News Story - KSAT San Antonio

OMG, accoring to "reliable" sources, we're all going to turn into pigs: SWINE FLU COMES TO AMERICA|Weekly World News

WASHINGTON, DC - The Swine Flu epidemic has reached the United States. This new mutated strand of influenza starts as a normal flu, then turns people into pigs.
    Last edited by China; 04-27-09 at 03:16 PM.
    Breathe deep the gathering gloom...

Quote Originally Posted by China View Post
    I'm still wondering what wiseass turned off the "can-we-show-some-intelligence-here?" switch.

Quote Originally Posted by China View Post
    , accoring to "reliable" sources, we're all going to turn into pigs: SWINE FLU COMES TO AMERICA|Weekly World News

OMIGOD-so that was the problem with my geometry teacher my sophomore year in high school. Who knew?!?

Quote Originally Posted by Henry View Post
    86 people is not a pandemic. It's an eyebrow-raiser.
    All right all right not yet it's not. Just you wait...

Oh, and as of today there are over 200 cases reported in the US alone.

Actually, there are only 40 confirmed cases in the United States per the CDC.
    Centers for Disease Control and Prevention

Only one case required hospitalization, everyone else was just isolated in their homes.

And no deaths. None even close.

I bet there were 20x more cases of the common cold reported in the US today. Is that a pandemic?

If this thing spreads fast and kills people it's a pandemic. Until then, it's a strain of the flu that some people who have recently been to Mexico are getting.

Blog Entries
    What strikes me in tracking this affair is how we continue to cling to the illusion we (the big "we"--humanity) are somehow, or better should be somehow, out in front of this thing. That that there should be established local, national and global immediate response contingencies in place to auto-respond to any significant outbreak of any kind anywhere in the world.

That would be nice, no doubt ... just unrealistic in the extreme.

I think, particularly in the "developed nations," we have become increasingly insulated from the realities of our species' position in the world and universal order. We seem to think we are in control and masters of our domain. We are not.

The world and universe send us reminders of that truth on a regular basis--this latest medical scare for instance, on a global scale, and not that long ago Shoemaker-Levy on a universal scale--but by and large I get the sense the vast majority of us do not recognize them as such.

Not excusing neglect or bureaucratic quicksand here ... just reminded yet again just how close beneath the surface of the perceived normalcy of everyday life lies the harsh reality of just how tenuous is our real situation, our real control, over our brief slice of geologic time on the thin, brittle crust of a spinning blob of mud, orbiting a nuclear cataclysm in a remote corner of one of countless billion galaxies, each so vast and violent we cannot begin to imagine, all heading ... we know not where.

And now for some lunch.

Swine Flu Spreading, but Officials Say Travel Restrictions Do Little to Help - washingtonpost.com

Cases of swine flu were confirmed early today in Israel and New Zealand, the first definitive proof that the dangerous new virus has spread to the Middle East and Asia-Pacific regions, but international health officials said there was little point in imposing border or travel restrictions or otherwise trying to contain the virus.

The World Health Organization raised its official tally of confirmed swine flu cases today from 73 to 79, adding a second case in Spain and confirming two cases in Britain and three in New Zealand.

The WHO, which yesterday raised its pandemic threat level from 3 to 4, two levels below a full-scale pandemic, will not meet today to consider another increase, a spokesman said at a news conference.

While the agency said people should think carefully before traveling to or from areas known to be affected by the flu virus, spokesman Gregory Hartl said it considers formal travel restrictions and border closures ineffective because people who would be screened could be infected but not yet showing symptoms.

"Border controls don't work. Screening doesn't work," Hartl said, according to Reuters news service, describing the economically-damaging travel bans as basically pointless in public health terms.

He said "we are still at phase 4" in terms of threat level because officials do not yet "have incontrovertible evidence" that the virus spreads easily from human to human. Yesterday was the first time the international body had elevated its official estimation of the threat of an influenza pandemic up from level 3, using a system that was revised in the wake of the 2003 SARS outbreak.

"A pandemic is not considered inevitable at this time," said Keiji Fukuda, the WHO's assistant director general for health security and environment. "The situation is fluid, and the situation continues to evolve."

What is clear, officials say, is that the virus is causing sustained community-wide outbreaks, with a rise in the suspected death toll in Mexico to 149 as of yesterday, along with the confirmation of the first case in Europe and a doubling of the number of confirmed cases in the United States. In the first signs that the outbreak could be taking a toll on the staggering global economy, oil prices, the Mexican peso and airline stocks all plunged.

The level 4 alert could prompt health authorities in some circumstances to launch massive efforts to contain an outbreak, but Fukuda said the virus had spread too widely to make that realistic.

"At this time, containment is not a feasible option," Fukuda said. "This virus has already spread quite far."

"With the virus being widespread," he said, "closing borders or restricting travel really has very little effect in stopping the movement of this virus."
    Instead, the alert was designed to prompt countries to intensify efforts to minimize the spread of the virus by identifying new cases and clusters quickly and taking other measures ...

CLICK LINK above for the rest
    Last edited by Om; 04-28-09 at 01:59 PM.

Our character is what we do when we think no one is looking.
    - H. Jackson Brown, Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by keeastman View Post
    Actually, there are only 40 confirmed cases in the United States per the CDC.
    Centers for Disease Control and Prevention

Only one case required hospitalization, everyone else was just isolated in their homes.
    Yea, I realized my mistake on this one, I should have put "200 cases world wide" my bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Henry View Post
    And no deaths. None even close.

I bet there were 20x more cases of the common cold reported in the US today. Is that a pandemic?

If this thing spreads fast and kills people it's a pandemic. Until then, it's a strain of the flu that some people who have recently been to Mexico are getting.
    All right I give. Uncle!

me-> <- you

History repeating itself, perhaps?

1976: Ford Orders Swine Flu Shots for All

Blog Entries
    From the link Bishop posted ...

The influenza pandemic of 1918-1919 killed more people than the Great War, known today as World War I (WWI), at somewhere between 20 and 40 million people. It has been cited as the most devastating epidemic in recorded world history. More people died of influenza in a single year than in four-years of the Black Death Bubonic Plague from 1347 to 1351. Known as "Spanish Flu" or "La Grippe" the influenza of 1918-1919 was a global disaster.
    "The most devastating pandemic in recorded world history" happened just 90 years ago, and has been largely lost to history. I wonder why that is?

Our character is what we do when we think no one is looking.
    - H. Jackson Brown, Jr.

I'm wondering about something that possibly may be a contributing factor to the apparent near-panicked state of both institutions and the public at large concerning this swine flu outbreak. Maybe it's just me, but it seems as though there is a tendency in the media, more specifically media journalism, to melodramatize everything. All too often, as I've mentioned elsewhere, the media journalists when reporting a new scientific breakthrough or discovery seem to automatically extrapolate to the most dramatic outcome be it either a "potentially mankind saving" or "potentially mankind ending" scenario. It doesn't seem to be limited to science either-politics, business, international news, crime reporting, even sports reporting seems aimed at evoking the maximum intense emotional response from the reader, regardless if the posited scenario makes any logical sense or not.

What I'm wondering is-is this perhaps causing a Chicken-little-the-sky-is-falling mindset that prevents the public-or governments, who, after all, have to at least appear to be responding with concern lest their countrymen turn against them-from devoting enough rational analysis to assess the true nature and extent of the problem rather than simply give a knee-jerk reaction?

If this is indeed the case, then IMHO, mass media journalism is doing us all a terrible disservice.

Thread Information